Residential roof systems have several basic components:
Selecting Roofing Material for Your Home or Business
- Roof structure - trusses and roof rafters that provide the basic support system for the sheathing.
- Sheathing - plywood particle board or wafer-board sheathing that is fastened to the rafters to cover the home.
- Flashing - typically sheet metal that is installed into the valleys and joints of the roof to prevent leaks.
- Roof covering - shingles, metal, tile, or slate and the underlayment material that covers and protects the sheathing from the elements.
Cost, durability, and appearance are all factors to consider when choosing roofing materials. The best roofing system for your home depends on which of these factors you weigh more heavily. The following roofing materials are commonly used for residential "steep slope" roofs.
- The most common roof covering across the U.S. is asphalt shingles. The major advantage of an asphalt shingle roof is it's relatively low initial cost. Shingles vary significantly in quality and warranty, so check with your roofer for your options. A typical asphalt shingle roof has a minimum 25 year warranty and can go up to a lifetime warranty.
What types of roofing shingles are there and what are the differences?
- 3-Tab Shingles – These shingles are the least expensive. 3-tab is a good choice for most homeowners primarily concerned with the cost of the new roof. 3-tab shingles have the shorter warranties.
- Dimensional/Architectural Shingles - These higher quality shingles are composed of two layers of material per shingle, so they offer a double layer of coverage. Architectural shingles usually have a longer duration on the warranty (i.e. lifetime). Architectural shingles withstand wind and harsh weather conditions better than 3-tab shingles.
Red Bank Roofing provides quality roofing shingles for your home or business and we carry a complete line of roofing shingles from various top of the line roofing manufacturers. Choosing the right shingle can increase the value of your home. We use quality roofing shingles that are algae resistant and carry solid warranties from top manufacturers. We install these shingles according to the manufacturer’s specifications to protect you, your warranty and your home.
Today, the available array of shingle styles, colors and materials is matched only by your imagination. CertainTeed Roofing systems offer a variety of superior shingles and commercial roofing materials. Their website is full of good information to assist you in getting educated about their products. Click here to learn more about CertainTeed.